Friday, June 28, 2013

Two years ago today...



I was diagnosed with colon cancer at the age of 30...today, I'm in Portland, Oregon getting ready to head into the hills with friends. For those that know me and have helped me weather this storm, I am forever indebted. 
I always think I should have some incredible insights and poignant observations about life and what it all means, but these past two years have taught me that I don't know much at all. There are no certainties in life. I do know this though...Give it your all. Too many opportunities pass us by without much recognition on our part other than, "That would be such a cool thing to do," or "Wow, I wish I could doing that." Well you know what? You can! I know people have obligations, families, mortgages, jobs, responsibilities, but take a moment, breathe, and ask yourself, "Do I make too many compromises? Am I always putting others ahead of me and ignoring my own needs?" If you find yourself answering yes to those questions, then really think about what you want your life to be about. How do you want people to remember you when you're gone? How do you want to feel during those last few breaths? No one can tell you when that will come, but you can damn well bet that you'll feel better about the end when you can look back on your life and say, " I went for it."
Today, go out and whatever it means to you, go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment